LASIK or laser-assisted in-situ keratomileuses. It is a popular laser surgery performed on people who suffer from conditions like myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) or astigmatism. Laser surgery reshapes the cornea for better focus of the light that travels through it. The eye surgeon may recommend LASIK surgery best suited to the patient’s condition and may offer various affordable surgery packages.
The eye surgeon will assess various factors before performing any surgery. Following may be assessed:
- A thorough examination to check the eye health. The thickness and shape of the pupil or any other eye conditions.
- The curvature of the front surface of the eye is measured through corneal topographer, to create a map image of the cornea.
- Moisture of the eyes is checked to avoid dry eyes after the surgery.
- A wave front analysis may be done to determine the aberrations that are affecting the vision and more precise map images.
- The all-over health of the patient is checked.
After checking the above medical conditions, the surgeon will prepare the patient for a laser treatment for eyes. The doctor may administer medicines or drops to numb the area and to help the patient relax during the procedure. Lid speculum is used to keep the eyelids open during the surgery. After positioning the eyes under the laser, the cornea is marked using an ink marker. To prevent any eye movement during the surgery, the doctor makes use of a suction ring that is applied to the front of the eye. The surgeon adjusts the laser according to the prescription and then uses it to reshape the cornea. Though the procedure does not cause any pain, some pressure on the eye may be felt during the procedure. The laser for both the eyes is done separately. The entire procedure usually takes 10 to 15 minutes.
There may be some burning or itching sensation after the surgery. The doctor may prescribe some eye drops to ease any inflammation, for prevention of any kind of infection and to keep the eyes moist. It is recommended to use the medicines and drops prescribed by the surgeon only. The vision may be hazy or blurry for a day or two after the surgery. The improvement in vision is noticed a few days after the surgery. The doctor may advise a few days of rest and refrain the patient from indulging in any strenuous activity. The doctor may advise a few follow-ups after the surgery.
This eye laser treatment is effective in improving the quality of vision. In most cases, the patients receive the desired results. There are a number of advantages of this procedure:
- It is very effective in most cases.
- The procedure is almost painless or involves very less pain.
- There are no cuts or stitches involved.
- Most people require no lenses and glasses after the surgery.
- Improvement in the vision is seen almost immediately or within a day.
Like any medical procedure, LASIK surgery may also have some complications. Though the procedure rarely causes loss of vision, due to the complex nature of the surgery, rare complications may occur that may affect the vision of the patient.