If your car is otherwise in a good condition but you wish to have the latest and easier fuel injection system, and wondering if you can convert your classic car’s fuel system into it, then we can assure you of the fact, that yes, it can be surely done and that too in a couple of hours. To avoid risks you can always get it done from a reputed place like the service center of the Hyundai dealer Camden.
The Basic Requirements
To carry out the entire process of this conversion of engine fuel system, you need to keep ready the following things:
- Flare nut wrench
- Wire brushand stripper or crimpers
- Bucket or a catch panCreeper
- Penetrating lubricant
- Shop towels
- A Drill with a dimension of 7/16 inches
- Barbed hose fittings of 3/8 inches
- Non-sparking punch or driver
- Fuel pump block-off plate, hose, clamps andline straps
- 12-gauge wire with connectors
- 30-Amp relay
- Electric fuel pump
Steps to Follow
- Empty the fuel tank to make things easier.
- Park your vehicle on a flat surface, now place the jack just below the front crossmember and raise the car height as per your convenience.
- Now place the jack stands below the axle housing with the maximum possible proximity to the rear wheels and lower the car carefully onto them.
- Here you need to inspect the steel fuel lines well that lies between the engine and the fuel tank. Replace the components immediately, if you find them damaged or rusted.
- Channelize the 3/8-inch fuel return line starting from the fuel tank to the engine. In the process you need to leave some slack in the hose whiletaking it away from the pinch points as well as the hot exhaust components. At this juncture you need to support the hose with the hose straps.
- Now disconnect the fill and the vent pipes from the fuel tank while loosening the bolts on the tank straps. Now slowly lower the tank.
- Clean the sending unit of the fuel tank thoroughly.
- Now drill in a hole in the sending unit cap and attach the six inch hose inside the barb and reinstall the sending unit.
- Now raise the fuel tank back into its place and tighten the straps.
- Mount the new fuel pump in a protected place from most flying debris and any heat yet that is accessible. Cut a piece of fuel supply line of 18 inches, install it between the fuel pump and tank with the in-line pre-filter.
- Mount the relay as per the instructions. Route the switched output wire along with a ground wire to the new fuel pump.
- Attach the power and ground wires to the fuel pump using solderless connectors.
- Now disconnect the mechanical fuel pump and remove it, installthe new block-off plate with the relevant bolts and gasket.
Your car is now equippedwith the new electronic fuel injection system. To check if things are right, you can ask the experts of the Hyundai Camden dealership service center, who will be more than happy to help.