The afternoon slump is a normal experience for everyone. You begin to feel sleepy and unproductive, but whenever low energy drags you down during a sluggish day, don’t immediately reach for caffeine. It can provide an immediate pick-me-up, but it will quickly wear off and you’ll feel more drained.
There are healthier ways to instantly beat tiredness and keep it at bay. Here are some tips for an instant energy boost:
Sit on a Massage Chair
If you come home feeling drained after a long day, a quick 20-minute session on a relaxing massage chair can provide an instant energy boost. It improves your circulation, so nutrients and oxygen are delivered easily throughout the body and give you the boost you need. Here are other important benefits of a massage chair:
- Improves Breathing Pattern: A massage chair can improve your breathing and make you feel more relaxed. When you’re able to breathe more easily, your stress levels are reduced and you’ll feel more energetic.
- Promotes Better Sleep Quality: Using a massage chair can increase the production of feel-good hormones like serotonin and promote better sleep. If you regularly have enough rest, you’ll wake up feeling more energetic and refreshed.
- Relief from Stress: Too much stress can make you prone to chronic depression, heart ailments, and anxiety attacks. Invest in a massage chair as it features various techniques that increase neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters help fight emotional and mental stress, making you happier, revitalized, and invigorated.
Drink Enough Water
Dehydration is linked to fatigue and low energy, so make it a habit to drink enough water to maintain a normal energy level. The right amount of fluids in your body is important for physical performance and maintaining a good internal temperature. When you forget to stay hydrated, you’re likely to feel irritable and prone to headaches.
If you often feel sleepy or tired even if you’re getting enough sleep, just increase your water intake to make you feel more alert and energized.
Let the Sunshine In
A few minutes of walking outside may improve your memory and mood. Sunlight can increase serotonin levels that can make you feel more focused and calm. If you can’t go outside, you can just open the shades to let natural light in and boost your energy. Here are some easy ways to get more sunlight in your daily activities:
- Try an Outdoor Workout: Bring more sunshine into your day by taking your workout outside. Scheduling a daily morning run around the neighborhood helps you get out of bed on time and increases your alertness. You can also go for a hike, ride a bike, or play sports for a good dose of the sunshine vitamin.
- Start Gardening: You can start a little herb garden that you can tend to every day. This is a great routine to spend under the sun, and you’ll grow your own fresh produce readily available.
- Eat Outside: Eating lunch outside in decent weather can improve your mood and lower stress hormones. The nice view and the company of friends and family can positively affect your senses, making your dining experience healthier and more satisfying.
Have a Quick Snack
Your brain needs the energy to function properly. When you’re hungry, your blood sugar level drops and you tend to feel fuzzy. Have a quick snack with protein and slow-burning carbohydrates to provide you with enough energy and maintain your blood sugar levels.
Some foods that are considered natural energy boosters are banana slices with peanut butter, whole grains, sweet potatoes, and Greek yogurt. It’s also important to eat smaller and more frequent meals to better manage your hunger and maintain your energy levels.
Take a Power Nap
15 to 20 minutes of midday power nap can give you an energy boost and improved motor performance. You’ll feel more awake and refreshed throughout the day, so you can accomplish more work. Here are some tips to have a better power nap:
- Set an alarm for about 20 minutes so you wake up more alert instead of dazed.
- Avoid napping too close to your nighttime sleep schedule to prevent ruining your sleep cycle.
- Find a good, comfortable place to rest. Choose a quiet and dark location and use earplugs or an eye mask to avoid any disturbance.
- You can opt to drink coffee before you take a nap for an additional boost of energy when you wake up.
Many people usually feel they lack the energy to properly function at some point throughout the day. These healthy tips will provide the energy you need so you continue to be productive and alert. However, if you constantly feel tired, consider making some lifestyle changes like getting enough sleep, exercising, and choosing healthier food to maintain your energy levels and avoid any potential illness.