Most people never look at the big picture when they think about how they could be happier. It isn’t like you make a list of what you need to do and check each off as you accomplish it. In fact, many people never think about having the control over the things in their lives that will actually make a difference in how happy they feel. The task of sitting down and thinking of what it would take to may you happy might not be as simple as you think. Achieving happiness isn’t a matter of wishing for more money or hoping to find true love. It’s about the steps you can take to change the various areas of your life to make a positive change.
According to Dr. Robert Puff, “Once you decide to do everything in your power to live a simply beautiful life and live life to the fullest, you will find happiness.” Below are some tips to help you determine what this goal encompasses for you.
- Be Kinder to Others – You know that great feeling that you get when someone does something unexpectedly kind for you? That good feeling often goes both ways. The key to how to live a happier life starts by doing things that will give you a greater sense of self love.
- Accept the Inevitable – Life often throws curves into well-laid plans and sends people whirling in a totally unexpected direction. There are some things that you simply have no control over other than to choose your attitude. That old saying “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade” goes a long way towards making the attitude adjustments that will help you be happier with what you have.
- Alleviate Stress – There is a direct correlation between stress and unhappiness. Sometimes those things that cause the greatest degree of stress can be difficult to pin down. There are methods of stress management that can help you overcome the burdens that stress places on your physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being in spite of the stressors that you have to face every day. Try to avoid situations that you know cause you stress whenever possible. For those situations that you have no choice in, get the counseling you need to take control.
- Set Your Priorities – No one should be so selfish that they never consider anyone else’s needs or feelings but that doesn’t mean that you should sacrifice what you need to live happy to satisfy someone else. If you are wondering how to live a happier life for yourself and for your family, you may have to separate the needs for each and put those for yourself first.
- Work on Your Relationships – Once you make any changes you need to be happier, you should focus on improving the relationships in your life starting with those closest to home. Determine what will stop disagreements, grow trust, and improve intimacy.
Once you focus on how to live a happier life and take the necessary steps, you can grow and be happier from now on.